But They Have Smoke n Lights!

This past week, I had the privilege of spending some time with our church youth away at camp. I have always enjoyed going to camp. Over the last 25 years of ministry, I have led over 60 youth groups to various camps in Texas, Michigan, Colorado, Canada, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee and Florida. Not only have I led groups, but I also attended over 15 various camps as a camper myself so youth camp has been a very important part of my life and the life of my family.
So last Monday, we pulled in to Panama City Beach, Florida at a Christian Retreat Center where we would be staying. We were not the only ones staying there. We had our own cottages, rooms and meeting/kitchen area for our group but other churches had theirs as well. I quickly noticed that these other churches that were there were quite a bit larger than our church. They had charter buses...we had vans. They had a full-time youth pastor for high school and one for middle school along with full-time assistants, a half a dozen college age summer interns and dozens of volunteers...we did not have that.
One evening I snuck over into the back of the building to witness for myself one of these larger churches worship services that I had been hearing all week. Their meeting space was next door to ours and their music...their bass would literally shake our walls in the place that we were meeting. As I walked in, I now witnessed what had been shaking our walls. They had a full band, at least 6 members not counting singers. They had a sound booth set up that was out of this world with the latest gadgets, bells and whistles. They had a huge stage with steel beams and professional lighting. They had huge HD projectors and screens. They even had lazer lights and smoke.
As I stood there for about 10 minutes, I began to struggle in my spirit so I left. The problem wasn't at all with them, the problem was with me. I began to think back over the years of being a youth pastor at some rather large churches. I wondered I use to have all of this, why don't I now? At one church, we owned our own charter buses. At one church, we had our own top notched youth band, assistants and an unlimited budget. I began to get frustrated. This church seemed to have it all and we have very little in comparison. I thought to myself after a long week, these leaders will get up on a nice chartered bus, relax and watch a movie all the way home while us on the other hand, we'll make the long drive home on our own in crowded vans...and then the Lord spoke to me.
I realized at that moment that I was looking at everyone else and what they had and forgetting about what I already have. I was forgetting the simple fact that the God they were worshipping in that great big room wasn't any different than the one we worshipped in our little room. I also realized that the same God that saves people and changes people in the bigger room is the same God that showed up in the lives of our youth in the smaller room. I realized that God has me here in this little room because that is exactly where He needs me..which leads me to you.
What is it that you have your eye on? Are you looking at everyone else and what they have and focussing on what you don't? Are you missing out on what use to be yours? If that is you, realize that while you are spending all that time hoping, wishing, dreaming, regretting of what you did have or don't have, you are greatly missing out on what you do have. God wants to work on you and through you while your in your little room. He wants to use you and He doesn't need smoke, lights or large crowds...all He needs is you!

...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content...Philippians 4:11

Consider Your Ways...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts