Just Walk Away

I am not writing this for a pat on the back, a poor me or any other reason than for you to learn what I learned today and hopefully when you find yourself in a similar situation you will go through the proper channels and simply learn to Walk Away if that is what you are led to do.
I drive a 2004 Nissan pickup with nearly 200k miles on it. When I bought that truck almost 5 years ago, it was one of those God things on how I got it, what I paid for it and all that came about it becoming mine. I am 47 years old and it is the nicest vehicle I personally have ever owned and it was the first one that I ever drove that had electric locks/windows. I recently though have been thinking about getting another vehicle and passing this old truck down to my son. He wasn't that in favor of it because he wanted his own vehicle but when I told him what I was looking at and that he could drive it too, he was all in.
I had a 1998 Jeep that I owned for a number of years but I sold it to get this truck. I need a truck but I sure did miss my Jeep, especially out driving these back roads here in Tennessee so that it what I have been looking at. Over the last few weeks I have had a couple of great deals slip right through my hands and that has left me even more vigilant in finding the right one and then yesterday I did! I was so excited, I sweet talked my son and daughter Emilee into going to see it and after seeing it and driving it, they knew right there along with me that this was "the one". It was the style, color and had everything I wanted. After a little wheeling and dealing, we agreed on a price. We shook hands, I left a deposit and the banking/financial stuff was set for today.
Last night after I got home, Shelly and I discussed this Jeep and everything about it then I headed off to bed but I was not very comfortable and it wasn't because of my mattress or a late night burrito. I tossed and turned all night and woke up a little earlier than normal. I wasn't feeling all warm, fuzzy and excited inside about this new vehicle I was going to be getting today. As Shelly left for work, she said to me if this is "the one" then get it and don't miss out. All of my kids were excited about "the one"...the only problem was it wasn't "the one".
I texted my family this morning and told them that I was not getting it. I told them that I was more concerned about pleasing me than pleasing HIM. This uneasiness, weight and feeling I was having was no doubt the prodding of the Holy Spirit. I had been dealing with it for going on three weeks. I had tried to justify every little reason why I needed to get a Jeep and I even got my family and some close friends to go along with it. I could have easily listened to their voices but the voice that really mattered kept speaking to me much like the still small voice spoke to Elijah in 1 Kings 19. I began to ask myself why am I going to commit that amount of money to that Jeep for a number of years? You take care of your family. You have two kids in college. You give to others. You give to your church. Why sacrifice doing all of those things to please yourself if it meant risk doing all of these things that God has blessed you and asked you to do for others? So I walked away because having a Jeep was not near as important as listening to HIM. I didn't like it at first but the comfort of knowing that I did today what was pleasing to my Heavenly Father is so rewarding, much better than a Jeep ride in the country for sure!
So let me ask you this question because this is what I really wanted to get to. What is it that today, you are striving for? Maybe you are pursuing a new job? Maybe its another relationship, an opportunity, a new home, another dollar...it could be anything. There is nothing wrong with striving for things that please you but if they are not part of the Father's plan, then pursing after them will not be pleasing Him and the best thing for you and others around you is for you to simply walk away. My family and I learned a valuable lesson today on this trip the Lord has had me on over the last few weeks and I hope it helps you at some point along the way and that is this that often times when we walk away from the things we desire, we find ourselves walking back towards HIM!
My message for my wife and my kids is that same message that Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:1 to those early believers and that is this..."Be followers of me because of the Christ I am following" and may that be an encouragement to you!

I Love HIM So...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts