Overflowed

Today at the Racioppa home, a mystery was solved that had perplexed my wife and I for over a year. Now this mystery was not who left the toilet seat up, lost the remote or who left the garage door open all night. There are five parties that could all be guilty of such dastardly deeds. No, this mystery was due to a person or thing messing up and it could not have been my kids...let me explain.
Over a year ago, we bought a new coffee pot. It isn't anything fancy, just an average fill it up, put coffee in and hit the button coffee pot. We did however splurge a bit and paid the extra $5 and got one that had a timer so that it could be started and ready when we got up in the mornings. Because we are talking about a coffee pot and early morning, you see now why I have eliminated the kids...let's go on!
On numerous occasions, not every week but often, I would wake up to my wife already being up and fresh coffee being ready. As I would walk in the kitchen, I would notice a mess that consisted of coffee soaked dish rags laying in the sink and a freshly mopped kitchen floor, just under where the coffee pot is. The first time I saw that mess, I asked questions. The second time I asked again. The third, fourth and so on I just let it slide.
My wife had told me that there was something wrong with the coffee pot...it overflows! She said, "It is not me, it is that cheap coffee pot". "I have made sure that I when I use the kitchen sink sprayer, that I did not put too much water in the reservoir and it still overflows". Now this was very odd because of two reasons:
#1 It did not do that all the time #2 It never once has happened with me and I make coffee just as much as she does. Nevertheless, I marked it up as being mechanical error (which I doubted) or operator error (which I didn't mention...I've learned that after almost 24 years of marriage).
Which brings us to today. I once again woke up to the smell of coffee brewing. I sat down on the couch and shortly there after, I began to hear what sounded like water dripping and steam that was hitting the heating element under the coffee pot. I ran into the kitchen and noticed the coffee pot overflowing. I quickly got some towels and saved a huge mess from happening. At that time, I heard my wife say..."John I did not overfill with too much water"...then it hit me. I asked her, did you empty the pot of old coffee? She looked at me and said, "not this time" and my guess is, neither did she the other times.
My wife went through all the right steps in preparing for some morning coffee but occasionally, while half asleep at times, she would forget to leave out emptying the coffee pot of day old, crappy, cold coffee.
I thought about that as I drove into the church today and what an incredible message that is for all of us...You see God wants to fill our cup daily with His blessings for us to enjoy but much too often, we leave too much old, crappy stuff in the way of Him filling us up to the top with His goodness. Jesus said in Luke 6:38..."Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap."
If you and I will live for Him. If we will push away all the mess that tends to fill our own cups and allow Him to fill us up by giving our lives to others...He will pour out His blessings on you and I and we can't help but overflow with that goodness on others.

Good To The Last Drop...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts