Flag the Crap

So my eldest daughter had an "extra" job to do this past Memorial Day weekend by looking after someones dog while they were out of town. This was not a problem for her because she loves dogs and she loves money too. Her only responsibility was to do the usual...feed, water and let it outside to do its thing. I decided on this holiday weekend to venture with her on one of her many trips over to this house to give her company. When we arrived there, the dog jumped with excitement and headed to the back door. I followed her and the dog outside past the swimming pool to this wide open backyard. It was there that I noticed something odd...there were tiny orange flags all over the yard. I asked her what those were and she said that the owner told her that when the dog poops, to put a flag by it so that their kids will know where it is and pick it up when they get home. That way, no one will step in it later. I thought my daughter was just joking with me but she showed me by the fence was a stack of tiny, orange flags! What I had just witnessed reminded me of something that we all need to be reminded of.
Over in the book of Deuteronomy chapter 23 you will find an interesting story. There were around 2-3 million children of Israel at the time. That is a lot of people. One thing that always has to be addressed with a large group of people is where to go to the bathroom. Here in this chapter, God informs Moses (starting in verse 12) that His people are to go outside their camp to poop. He says that they are to take a shovel, dig a hole, get rid of their crap and cover it up. Here is the reason why...Because the Lord wants to enter their camp and not see all of that mess! God tell Moses that He wants to deliver them from their enemies. He tells them he wants to give them the victory but His camp must remain clean, pure and holy because He is. If they don't, He will turn away and not enter.
Wow what a message that applies to you and I! God wants to enter into our camp...our lives. He wants to bless us. He wants to give us victories over the things that overtake us. The problem is that with most people, there is just way too much crap laying around. Not only does it get in the way of fully experiencing His presence but it leaves a mess for innocent others to step in.
Can I ask you these questions? Do you want and welcome God's presence in your life and the life of your family? What wasteful stuff do you need to get rid of so you can experience that? Here's my suggestion to you. Grab a flag and mark that crap in your life. Next, gather family and friends around and let them know what it is. Lastly, pray and ask God's forgiveness for it ever getting in your camp in the first place. Then grab a shovel, get rid of it and be ready to experience a renewed relationship with Him!

I'm Still Digging...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts