A Coke and a Smile

It is a beautiful day here in middle Tennessee. The birds are singing. The grass is growing and people for the most part are chipper now that winter is over...boy I hope I didn't just jinx us! Anyways, today as I returned back to the church after lunch, I spotted some young men outside our church out in our field. As I walked into the building, I noticed that they were riding motorcycles. I went inside, set my drink and phone down and went over to our soda machine that we have in our lobby. I purchased three drinks then headed out to meet these young guns. As I approached them, they took off their helmets and began to look at one another. Before I even got close enough to them, one yelled to me Sir, are we in trouble? I said if you were in trouble, do you think I would have brought you these? They were amazed at just the simple idea that someone would not only go out of their way to talk to them but bring them something to drink as well. We talked manly things...four wheelers, motor cycles and how they enjoy sitting up at their grandmas house across the street and watching our annual fireworks display in July. I told them that this year, they need to join in and come over and eat and not just sit from afar...that's how the country people say it!
As I came back into the building, I thought to myself that these guys weren't just looking for a place to ride but it was obvious that they were also looking for a smile. I wondered as I thought about our conversation of how many people or pastors for that matter would have even given them the time of day? I wondered how many of them would have yelled at them to get off the property? They were expecting that but what I offered them was a reason to come to this church, not a reason not to. What I offered them was a reason to meet Jesus, not a reason not to.
Jesus said in Matthew 25 whoever gives a drink in my name, it is as if they have given unto me. Those drinks might have ended up in the hands of those three young men but they did a much greater work in the the Lord's hands as they were offered to them in His name. So let me ask you this question, what people do you have that are riding into your life that you want there or not? What people are standing around just waiting to be ridiculed, harassed by us churchy people? Relax, grab a coke and a smile and realize that what you do, what you say and how you react is either going to be used as a stepping stone to introduce them to the One Who Saved You or as as a battering stick to drive them away!
Consider Your Ways...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts