Distractions



This past Saturday night, my family and I and some friends headed on up to Franklin, Kentucky which is just a short drive from where we live to watch a movie at the Drive-In Theatre. In my almost 41 years on this earth, I have never been to a Drive-In. As a matter of fact, the only one I had ever even been close to was in Grand Prairie, Texas and my dad would make my sister and I lay down on the floor of the car as we passed it coming home from church because we were Independent, Fundamental, KJV only Baptist who did not believe in going to movies, let alone see 6 seconds of one as we drove by...but that is another story!

Anyways, we found our spot, set out our lawn chairs and gathered our food for the Karate Kid. The HEAT and the stillness of the air could not ruin the excitement of this new event my family and I were experiencing. My son had nestled up next to me and even though it was quite warm, I was enjoying every minute of it. As the sun set and the movie reels began to roll, we all settled into our spots. Other than the fact that it was 94 degrees and this wasn't your typical Dolby Surround Sound Theatre, I quickly learned that there were other things that made this movie experience much different than your typical one...DISTRACTIONS.

At your regular, inside theatre you might experience someone stepping around you to get by, a cell phone lighting up or occasional chatter but these things usually are rare, especially once the movie begins. This past Saturday night, things were different. The stepping around you was replaced with people walking about going back and forth to the concession stand. Cell phone lights were replaced with headlights and interior lights of cars. Chatter had changed into the slamming of car doors and a car alarm going off. All of these though failed to compare to the occasional IDIOT who while out on the main road would honk their horn and scream there head off as they drove by. Time after time they would pass by to the point where I was now watching and waiting for them to come by rather than enjoy the movie with my family and friends. I did not feel Jesus all over me as they passed and I wished I could have gotten a hold of them, in Jesus name of course.

I finally came to the realization that I was doing exactly what they wanted, focus on them and their distraction rather than what I was there for, to watch a movie and spend time with people I love.

Boy isn't that how Satan works. He will try to get us so distracted with the things around us that we lose sight of why we are really here, to honor and glorify God with our lives. Instead of focusing on the things that matter, we focus on the problems, the difficulties, the struggles that are going on in our lives. In Nehemiah 3, the job was simple...to help rebuild the wall. The problem was that the people were getting so distracted by the naysayers and enemies that they put down theirs tools and just held onto their weapons to protect themselves, thus focusing on the distraction rather than their duty which was to rebuild the wall. In verse 17 they are challenged to not put down their tools but to work with one hand and hold to their weapon with the other. Often too many times we get so distracted by the problems that drive by in our lives that we stop what we are suppose to be doing and focus on them rather than what we should be focusing on. Saturday night, I watched and waited for those IDIOTS to return again and again when what I should have been doing was enjoying the little boy who was snuggled up next to me!


See You @ The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts