A 5 Star Lesson




If any of you have ever traveled this country, you learn first hand that not all restaurants are the same. Some might have a fancy building, some may not. Some might have cooking like your mom, and others like...well you know what I mean. The bottom line it's about the whole experience. A great steak and potato just ain't all that great if you have to dodge flies the entire time. That chicken sandwich looses something when that waitress who brings it has hair under her arm and a tattoo that says "I Luv Bubba" on the side of her neck. I hate to say it but I do scope out a joint when I enter in to eat. Last week, I did just that.

One of our local establishments here in Westmoreland is known for its convenience to the highway and it's good, cheap food. When I entered in the other day to eat lunch, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. It seemed that all of the booth seats had seen their better days. Now I'm not sure if they all looked like this but the ones around me did. Some would say why don't they replace those seats with new ones? Others would say that them chairs just have a lot of character. I thought to myself as I sat, no sunk down into this seat, "Man I bet if this seat could talk, it sure could share some stories. For all of the people that have sat there over the years, it has seen the good and bad sides of people (if you know what I mean). In spite of its appearance and the way I felt when I sat on it, it was still functional. In spite of the fact that it was not appealing to my eye, it was still better than sitting on the floor.

Over the years I have met a lot of people like that chair in that restaurant. They have been through a lot of rough stuff and after many years, it is beginning to wear on them. They have seen the good and bad sides of a lot of people. Some of those hurts and scars have kept people from coming in and having a seat with them in their life. Those life learned experiences gave them a story or can we say, helped develop character. Yeah God could have replaced each and everyone of us with something shiny and new when he saved us, but instead He chose to use us, tattered and torn and all. Were still functional. Were still able to function as He intended. John 15:16 Jesus says "you have not chosen me but I have chosen you..."and for that, I am so grateful. He wants to work, to speak, to live in and through each of us!
I'm glad I did not let the condition of that seat influence me to where I didn't stay. I would have missed out on something special. What people do you know that you have refused to take a seat with because of what they look like and have been through?


See You at The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts