What a Life?

*Posted a day late due to internet being down*

As I sat here working today at my "table" waiting for my new plush office to be finished in our new building, I once again was surrounded by many drivers. These drivers come in at various times of the day but most come in early, vying for a position or in music industry terms...a gig. I'm amazed on how they just sit around, waisting the day away. As I have sat here, I've heard it time and time again them mention to one another about how bad things are and that they sure do need a "gig' to get some cash flow. Well today was a bit different. I had the same man sit next to me for at least 7 hours, drinking coffee and looking at music magazines. I left the office to run some errands and when I returned, yep you guessed it, he was still there but now he had resorted to doodling on his coffee cup and it was quite a doodle if I do say. I said "Joe", let's just call him Joe for the sake of anonymity, I said Joe, are you gonna sit here all day, it had been at least 6 hours at this time. He looked up at me, set the cup down and said "some life huh"? He then got up, threw his coffee cup away and said, I'll see you tomorrow John.

As I watched this man walk away, I thought about that statement he said to me...some life huh?

Just the night before last I was reading in the book of John. One chapter I read was chapter 10. Now I can honestly say that I had not thought of those verses again but when I heard this man say "some life huh" verse 10 just jumped out of my mind and straight to my heart. Jesus said that he came that people would have life and have it more or greater than ever before, even people like "Joe". Here was a man whose life was and has been so bad today that he spent it sitting and drawing on a coffee cup to the point to where he even admitted it. I'm so glad that Jesus gave me a physical life on this earth but I am more glad that He gave an eternal life by trusting in Him. This morning, just like many mornings over the last 16 years I spent in the ministry I went to work secure in my own, complete life that I have but today, today I left work knowing that others don't have that greater life, even the ones that are sitting 3 feet away from me all day. What "Joe's" do you have in and around you that are looking for that greater life that only Jesus can give?
See You At The River,
John

Comments

  1. Good job, John. All of us have "Joe's" all around us if we'll just look around. You're right, He is not done with you yet. You're still ministiring(?) to me while you're in Nashville, Tn. Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just might be on to something w/ this whole "blog" thing! Maybe someone WILL write a book!ha! I love the "see ya at the river" and the title of the page! Good work dear - you always make me proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Shelly are so precious together; her post to you made me smile ;) God's really going to use you there, John; you are going to be a blessing to soooooo many just like you've always been! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing w/ us :)) Have a great day tomorrow :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Shelly. You have the making of a hip new sort of Chicken Soup for the Soul thing starting here. I had no idea you could write so well, but I did know you were funny. What has Melvin been up to?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts