Hallways

Just a few days ago, I found myself at a local hospital as one part of our WFBC family was about to give birth. As I walked into the room, this soon to be mother was wide awake, with monitors going and straps and wires everywhere while the other family members in the room were sleeping after a long, sleepless night. As I approached her bed, we began small talk about birth and I quickly went back to the birth of my children and how great it was and I told her how it all goes downhill from here (just kidding)!
Not long after, a nurse came in and began to talk to her about after care and feeding and I began to get antsy. You see this wasn't my first rodeo when it comes to hospital talk and or procedures. I over the years have been privy to many discussions...TMI! I have also seen my fair share of peoples backsides, front sides, side sides, wrinkled sides and all of those being the wrong sides and they will forever haunt me until the day Jesus comes!So as this discussion went further, I began to check my phone, act like I was unaware of what they were discussing and slowly ease my way to the door as the topic of breastfeeding came up. As I inched myself farther away from the bedside, the door swings opens and a couple of nurses enter, one of which was holding a thing that looked like a crochet hook. I immediately knew what that was and where it was going and before I could blink, I was out the door and in the hallway.
As I stood there, I realized that I have been in that place a lot in my life and I bet as you think of your own life, you have been there too. You see life is not all about what goes on behind this door or that door. Life is not all about this door that opens or this door that closes. Life is not always about the familiarity and comfortability of a room. No, life a lot of times for us all is about the hallways...the waiting periods where it seems that all we do is wait! Sometimes we are waiting for good things to come. Other times, were waiting for bad things to pass but often times, we're just standing in the hallway...waiting! I have learned over the years that it is much easier to wait in the hallway when someone is with you but there are times in our lives when we have to wait alone. The Bible speaks a lot about waiting and there are many accounts of people who waited on Him and those that didn't.
The Bible teaches us that it is in the hallways and waiting that you and I fully depend on Him. The prophet says in Isaiah 40:31...But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Psalm 27:14...Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! Both of those verses refer to being strong and one says to have courage. Why? Because hallway periods in your life can make you weak...if you let them!
So I am not sure where you are today in life as you read this? Maybe you are in a room and things are well or maybe you have been ushered out into a hallway or chose to be there on your own? Regardless of how you got there or how long you stay, know that as you stand in the hallway, if you know Christ as your Lord and Savior...you are really never standing alone!
Be Blessed My Friends...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts