Just A Swinging....


It is a new year and two, now almost three months in and this is the first thing I have written on my blog! I know...it's been a while. With everything I have going on in my life I just take it day by day and not worry about tomorrow because tomorrow never comes (Thanks Garth for that life long lesson)! At the ripe old age of 42, I'm beginning to understand a bit about channeling my life into a few things so that they are done well instead of a bunch of things that are done crappy...can I say that? It seems that life too often times starts pulling me in so many directions that the next thing I know, I'm not feeling well, eating right, loving people as I should and neglecting the call God has given me as a christian husband, father, friend and pastor.
So with that said, even though I have not been writing things down for you all to read, I have still be taking mental notes along with some interesting pictures along the way and for your uttermost enjoyment, I will share one with you today.
If you turn out from my neighborhood and head west on Gallatin Road, on the left hand side you will see a church next to a large field. I spend a lot of time looking out into that field because I love to hunt and the local deer herd likes to frolic in that field on a regular basis. This field is lined with huge power line poles that stretch as far as the eye can see in both directions. As I was driving by and looking out into the field, I couldn't help but notice something that was swaying in the breeze as it hung from the power lines. I pulled back around to see exactly what it was and stepped out and took this picture. It seems that this buzzard or for some of you that might call it a vulture had gotten all tangled up in a broken support cable and there he/she hung and flopped around til its death. I know you have probably seen your share of weird things and so have I but I have never seen anything like this...and as of today, it is still hanging there!
As I thought about that bird hanging from that tree, I also thought about my life. I wondered about what it is actually that I am resting or placing my support in. In the midst of life and all these things that it throws at us, if you and I don't get a grip on the things that are important, the things that really matter, we much like that buzzard will wake up one day all tangled up in a mess. You see what that buzzard placed its support in was eventually the thing that entangled it up! My question for you is what or whom have you placed your support in? When life gets you down, when it seems that there is no where to turn, where do you end up perching your feet? Jesus said in Matthew 11:28-29...“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. The Apostle Paul states in Hebrews 12:1...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. So you see this life we all are in is a race. We will get tired. We will get frustrated at times and to top it all off, we have to deal with this stuff called sin! What you and I must remember though is we can find our support in the one who created us and His desire is for us to trust and rest in Him so we don't wind up all tangled up in a mess and leaving others wondering how you got there!

See You at The River...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts