Are You A Kerry B?


If you have spent any time reading previous BLOG post, you will know that I usually write about things that catch my eye or things that leave a lasting impression. Today's BLOG post is about someone as well as me.
The warm spring air gets this hunter's blood moving much like the coolness of the fall. In the fall, it is the whitetail deer but in the spring, it is the wild turkey...and I ain't speaking about the one in the bottle! This past Saturday was opening day and I set out to my lucky hunting spot in hopes to see some feathers fly...if you know what I mean! This particular trip, I was solo because my son decided that he would rather play video games late into the evening with his visiting cousin then joining his father on another hunting adventure...and he really missed out!
While sitting in the woods and as the morning grew older, I played the calling game with what I thought was a single Tom Turkey by offering up to him the sweet sounds of love coming from my favorite turkey call. It wasn't no time, when he appeared along with two other friends. As I raised my gun up and gently gave my trigger the slightest pull, the woods turned from the sounds of turkey love to the echoing thunder of a 12 gauge shotgun...followed by another sound. This sound is the sound of a dead turkey flopping around on the ground but this time it seemed different, it seemed much louder. I went over to investigate and it was then that I noticed that I had shot the one I was aiming for but also the one that was 15 yards behind it too! Two turkeys...one shot. I quickly did what all turkey hunters do, I took a picture and posted it to Facebook. The comments came pouring in, GREAT SHOT...SWEETNESS...MAN THAT IS AWESOME...on and on they came in.
I loaded up my birds, headed home and after not much time had them cut up and in my freezer!
Later that afternoon, I was out running around with my son when I received a call from a friend who also attends the church that I pastor. This friends name is Kerry B, not sure where the "B" comes from or stands for but he is Kerry B...I guess it is a country thing? Kerry B has the job of all jobs...he works for Mossy Oak Camouflage and videos hunts all over the country in places I could only dream of going...man I hate him so! Anyways, Kerry B called not to congratulate me on my two turkeys with one shot like all the other people did but he called to inform me that I was only allowed one turkey a day and what I did was illegal. He then said I ought to think about taking the pictures off of Facebook...hmmm seems like a good idea to not post illegal activity for everyone to see.
As the story unfolded, about an hour later, two Game Wardens pull up at my house and question me about shooting two turkeys in one day. I explained to them what happened, said that I wasn't trying to cover it up and that I didn't know what to do. They let me off with a warning and went on their way. I am not sure how they found out what I had done and honestly, it doesn't really matter.
What kept coming back to me over and over again is what Kerry B did...he spoke the truth to me when it probably wasn't what I wanted to hear. I had no idea that what I had done was wrong, but based on his experiences...he did! He didn't leave me out to dry but felt obligated that he should let me know of a wrong that I had done. While everyone else was singing my praises, Kerry B was speaking the truth! I bet that wasn't an easy thing for a young man to tell his pastor!
The thought for you is this. Are you a Kerry B when it comes to others in your life? When you see people headed down the wrong path, do you let them go or do you call out to them in love and help them steer clear of approaching danger? Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 says...Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Just think of how many holes we might not have fallen into had we had a Kerry B looking out for us over the years.
I believe we all have travelled down some bad roads in this life. We can take those experiences and help deter others from doing the same thing.
So I leave you with this thought...To be a Kerry B or not to be...now that is the question?

See You @The River...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts