Happy Happy Happy

In 2012, the United Nations (UN) declared March 20th to be observed as the International Day of Happiness. The day recognizes that happiness is a fundamental human goal, and calls upon countries to approach public policies in ways that improve the well being of all peoples.
As I read about that, I thought about the things that make me happy. These are not in any particular order so as you read these, don't think that because one is listed first that it is looked upon in a greater sense. My family makes me happy. They say that the family that laughs together, stays together and I believe that is true. Being around them and spending time with them makes me happy. Hunting makes me happy. It is not the shooting of an animal but the getting away, the stillness and the quiet that makes me happy. Working outside makes me happy. I'm not sure why but it does but don't ask me to work outside at your house because that doesn't. Brisket makes me happy. The kind that has that charred, black outer layer with a delicate yet distinct pink smoke ring makes me smile from ear to ear! Yes there are a lot of things that make me happy. Spending time with friends, watching my favorite sports teams and even making other people happy makes me happy.
When the UN set this date, they said that happiness was a fundamental human goal...duh? What bozo came up with that one? Nobody wakes up in the morning and says to them self...Today, today I want to be unhappy but sadly, many choose to be!
Yes I believe we all want to be happy. If that is the case, then we ought to do whatever it is that will help us accomplish that goal. The problem is that most people look in the wrong places for that happiness. For some, it is a constant struggle. For others, they gave up on looking for it a long time ago. Can I tell you something that I have come to know personally? The only true happiness in life comes from being obedient and trusting in the one who created you! Psalm 40:4 says Happy is the person who trust in the Lord. That God given happiness is something that you cannot find in the things of this world. The Bible often refers to this God given happiness as Joy.
So what is it that makes you happy? Is it your family, your friends or your things? That type of happiness will never compare to the happiness when we Trust and Obey, for there's no other way to be HAPPY in Jesus, but to Trust and Obey!
See You @The River...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts