Two Lunches

This week, we here in Middle Tennessee began the new school year. I am not sure where one came up with the idea of taking the
entire month of August away from summer break but it is a reality we have to deal with. I know somewhere in the book of Leviticus it must tell us along with not eating pork that we can't start school until after the Jerry Lewis Telethon but we have failed to adhere to that "law"! Anyways, regardless of where you stand as far as school calendars go, school is here!
I as a father did what I always do in preparation for this day. I went out to buy school supplies, pay school fees and purchase items for school lunches. I met parents, new friends and heard horror stories of the "evil" teachers they have this semester.
Yes, it was the same old thing but this time it was different. As I got up to prepare my kids for their first day, I only packed two lunches. At first it seemed pretty neat to only have to do two...then the reality hit me. I now only have two attending public school.
My daughter Emilee will soon be making her journey two hours away to begin college. There she will have to make her own lunches...No more crackers and pepperoni slices in a Ziplock bag waiting for her. No more laughing cow cheese wedges or KitKat bars (fun sizes). She will have to take care of that on her own. I'll tell you right now, I don't like it. It hurts to think about it and I pray that Jesus will return before August 14th!
As I sat in my chair this first day of school, lunches made, drinking coffee and watching Fox News...I came to the agreement that I would do anything to be able to make three lunches again...but I can't! This thing called life has not only turned another page but begun a new chapter. I as her father must embrace it, like it or not! I tried to think of something spiritual, something comforting about this event that many of us will face at some point in time and I came up with one. I in no way can compare my life and my daughter with God and His son Jesus but for a moment and as slight as a comparison as it may seem, I now see more clearer how it must have felt for God to let His son leave His side. My daughter Emilee is not leaving to die for your sins and mine, that has already been done, but she is in fact leaving. So I as a father can rejoice in who Emilee is as a young lady. I can rejoice in who she is as a daughter. I can rejoice in who she is as a sister and a friend but most of all, I can rejoice in who she is in Christ and none of these could have ever happened had Jesus never left home from His father! John 10:10...Jesus came (left home) so that we could have life more abundantly. Thank You Lord for bestowing that abundant life on my daughter and us all so that we can leave to tell all!
See You @ The River...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts