If I Had Only Known...

Before I get started, if you have a son or daughter right now that is going through this, I am not trying to rain on your parade or pour water on the excitement. I am speaking for myself and if it does not apply to you, then that is ok!
During this time of year, I start to see some things happening that stir up a lot of emotions inside of me. The month of May brings about storms, weeds in my yard, sunburns on winter whitened skin and the end of school. For some, as with my kids, it is the end of school for a short period then its back to work come August. For others, it is what is the end of an era...High School Graduation.
I remember so vividly how excited I was that all my years of schooling finally paid off and that I was now to use the term loosely, "Free" from what we call public education. "Live it up"..."This is the time of your life"..."You finally made it"! These were common sayings that were spoken to me and are probably still mentioned to the graduates of today. If you had asked me on that graduation day in 1988, I would have probably agreed with you. I could have never been more wrong!
When I look at my life now as a going on 41 year old man, I see things much different now then before. Some of that is by trial and error and others is just Gods guidance as He continues to work in and through me. The simple fact is that although graduating high school was a great accomplishment, as a man, it doesn't even show up on the "Radar of My Life" when it comes to important things.
December 7, 1991 was the day I married my wife. NO WAY graduation is better than that! July 3, 1995/January 22, 1998/October 7, 2000 are the days when my children were born. Graduation...not better than those either! I remember when we bought our first home, what a huge thing it was for us as a family. Again, much better than graduation. The day in 1989 when God called me into the ministry or when cancer struck my father and brought us all closer as a family. Both of those were better than graduation. I could go on and on with a list of things that would blow out of the water the concept that May, 1988 was the time of my life!
Then there is Jesus. You see He trumps everything! The specific days that I, my wife and all three of my kids placed their faith and trust in HIM, nothing could ever compare, not even graduation. The various churches and many lives that have been changed and people that have been saved along the way as we have served Him, way better than graduation! The days I got to baptize my kids, you guessed it, better than graduation!
Yes graduation, although a great accomplishment, will never, ever in the slightest bit compare to what Jesus has done for me an my life up to today and in the future. So as a graduate, enjoy this time. You've earned it. Please know that as life goes on, this time will fade into obscurity because of the many other things that will become important in your life.




See You At The River...John







Comments

Popular Posts