What A Waste!


I can tell you where I was. I can tell you what I was doing. Neither of them matter. The fact is once I realized the truth behind what I was thinking and feeling, only disgust with myself settled in. Let me say, I am not one to force my convictions on another. There is a difference between Holy Spirit convictions and those of man. So what I am saying does not mean that you should do the same. All I am saying is that this is what God spoke to me.

I have been a lot like some of you, caught up in this whole "facebook" thing. It was a great thing to keep up with friends, both old and new and family. Once an official member, I quickly downloaded the application to my BLACKBERRY so I could "facebook" anywhere and at anytime...except while sitting in the bathroom at the office next door in the wash bay area. Must have been the steel roof or the thick fog coming from within that inhibited a reception. Anyways, it seemed that I could not get enough of this thing. Now I wasn't as bad as some, but I did do my share of over facebooking...if that is a word. What I was doing I was unaware of until this God moment. I was spending time during the day looking at facebook seeing what other people were having to say. Oh, they might have just finished mowing their yard, climbing Mt. Everest, picking their nose or whatever. It didn't matter. At least I knew. I had taken the time to basically see for the most part what useless piece of information others were posting. As I cruised down Vietnam Veterans Pkwy @ 70 mph with BLACKBERRY in hand waiting to log in, it hit me...What if I was as excited about seeing what God had to say as all of those people on facebook? What if I took the time to read His word or to see what HE was doing in a through the lives of others rather than seeing if Joe Blow got his car washed after picking up his kids from school? So I made a decision. I will still do facebook. I will still stay in contact with friends and family. I will still use it to post my Blog. I will not however consume my time with useless, meaningless matter that has no bearing on my life or the things that are most important to me.


See You At The River...John

Comments

  1. John - Excellent. I recently did a Bible Study that pointed out that the reason people are so fascinated by Facebook, MySpace, reality TV, celebrity magazines, etc., is that God made us that way. We are curious about each other. We cannot NOT be relational people. Further, if our relationships with God, our spouse, our children, family and friends are fulfilling, we have less of a need (and frankly, less time) for artificial relationships, like Facebook, etc. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts