You Gotta Have FAITH


Do you remember that old song by George Michael of the 80's pop group WHAM titled...You Gotta Have Faith? I have grown to hate that song, not just because I can't stand that guy but also because of the wording of that song. Before you cast your stone at me, I know I'm suppose to love him, but I don't have to like him!
I could give you numerous scriptures of what the Bible says faith is and even some more famous, individual stories of those that showed it in Hebrews 11. Instead, I would like to tell you what I think having faith or trusting in God is.

I have faith in God and trust Him. When I became a Christ follower 35 years ago, I placed my faith and trust in Jesus. It's not enough to know who God is. The Bible says that even the demons know who God is and that they are fearful. It's not enough to know He can save you from your sins, you then have to act upon it. I have told numerous students over the last 16 years that if you were floating in the middle of the ocean and you were drowning and if a boat pulled up next to you, just seeing that boat and knowing what it is is not enough to save you. There comes a time that after acknowledging that boat and what it can do for you that you then have to get in that boat and have faith and trust that it will save you. Too many people do that with Jesus. They know who He is and what He can do but refuse to get in the boat, totally trusting Him.

Well, back to this whole trust thing. I and my family trust God. We have for a long time now but not because the Bible tells us too but because He has never failed us yet. Trusting God with your everything...your family, your friends, your home, your church, your job, your finances and on and on is a hard thing to do but all that fails to compare to trusting Him with my eternity. If I have done that, the rest should be a piece of cake! Well this whole moving thing, leaving my job and what I have known to do something different, yeah it has required a lot of trust on my part. It has required faith! Things have not gone as planned as we thought. My wife and I thought our house would sell in 2 hours after the sign went up in the yard and we would all move together. Well that didn't happen. Hours turned into days then weeks, then months. Why God? I trust you! I have faith in you! You've come through for me before! Why not just let it fall into place with me sooner rather than later like you've always done? You're not getting anymore brownie points from me, as I said I already trust you! Then it hit me. Maybe this whole trust, faith thing, maybe it's not for me and my family but rather for someone who knows us and is watching us to see if we have faith and trust like we say we do. I remembered a story I once had read similar to this and it went something like this:

When a traveler in the early days of the west, came to the Mississippi, he discovered there was no bridge. Fortunately it was winter and the great river was frozen over with ice. The traveler was afraid to trust himself to it, not knowing how thick it was. Finally with caution, he crept on his hands and knees and managed to get halfway over. And then he heard--yes he heard singing from behind. Cautiously he turned, and there, out of the dusk, came another traveler who had been watching him, driving a four-horse wagon with his family, singing as he came across!

I'm not sure where you are at as far as trusting or having faith in God but I do know this. Through your difficulty, obstacle or trial, God is either trying to strengthen your faith by trusting in Him or He is trying to strengthen the faith and trust of someone who is watching you show your faith and trust. Once you step out on faith, look behind you and don't be surprised to see others following right behind you watching your every move!


See You At The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts