What's It Worth?



This past week there was a driver who came into the shop. This was not his first time to show up. As a matter of fact, he comes in almost every day looking for work. Being a driver here is much like any other job, you're not just automatically placed at the top. You have to pay your dues, do a good job and what is asked of you. Over time, if all goes well you will get your shot. Unfortunately for him, waiting for that permanent "gig" has placed him in a financial mess. I understand his need. I understand his worries. I have compassion for the man. Well this week, he came in speaking of his predicament he was in. He spoke about how he was behind in his bills and that he needed money. He then reached in his pocket and pulled out some coins. He handed them to me as asked if I wanted to buy them or knew of someone who might. He told me that they were his grandmothers or grandfathers, I can't remember which, and that he had a whole trunk full of them. I told him that I did not want them but I knew of someone who might. I took the coins and told him that I would find out and let him know. He then said to take care of them cause they're worth $2200 each, then he left the building. Later that evening, I received a phone call from someone who knew about those coins. This person said that there are many of those out there and that they are only worth about $30 each, not the $2200 that was written on the coin case.
I then wondered about how the man who gave me these coins had determined what they were worth. What made him say that they were worth that much? He obviously knew nothing about them or he wouldn't have asked me. What he did do was he determined its worth by looking on the outside and what had been written there by someone else. He should have asked someone who knew.
People do that all the time. I have done that as well. At times, I determine my worth by what others see or what they have written on me. On the outside, I am a sorry husband at times. On the outside, I'm not the greatest father or friend. On the outside, I forget about others, make mistakes...yes on the outside I am a sinner. Ohhh but on the inside, I am forgiven and a child of the king. In 1 Samuel 16:7, God is speaking to Samuel concerning the next King of Israel. He tells him to not look at the outside appearance as man does, but to look as God does and that is on the heart (or the inside). My worth and your worth is not determined by what others have written. So the next time you feel worthless, remember that you are "fearfully and wonderfully made". If someone has written a false price on the outside of your life, how bout you ask someone who really knows what your worth...someone who looks on the inside!
See You At The River...John

Comments

  1. nice post!

    ps. the common mistake made is this is a typical mark on a coin for price, but it stands for $22.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts