It's Just an INCH!

I found out very early in life about that term...Give an Inch and they'll take a mile. I learned in the case of Mom/Dad vs. Me that there was always one that would give an inch of movement in the direction that I was wanting to go and one that didn't. Mom would always give in just a little on whatever it was that I was wanting so that is why I always went to her first. Dad often times would let that inch of movement that my mom gave me slide. He wasn't always happy with it but to keep the peace, he would most of the time allow it...even though he knew that that inch would end up growing to a mile and even more almost every time.
When my children were little, they knew exactly what to say and what to do when it came to their agenda. They, as I stated before did what I did, wanting an inch but knowing that an inch wasn't what they really wanted, it was just a starting point to where they wanted to be. "Dad can I have this bag of chips?" "No son, it will ruin your dinner." "Can I have just a few?" "Yes, just a few." "Can I have a few more?" "Yes only two more and that's it"...later to find the bag empty after I had given in an inch at a time. My son started off agreeing with what I wanted but ended up getting what he wanted...the entire bag of chips!
As I think about this political process that we are now facing, last night something came to me as I listened to both candidates and it took me back to this inch idea. So here it is as I wrote it down today for your viewing pleasure. As I listened to all three debates, I believe all if not most of the issues (and I am talking about the relevant ones), started off with this "give an inch" idea and that is why where we are today. I will not for the sake of time get into all of them but I will address four of them, not that these are any greater than the others but that they happen to be on the forefront of people’s minds during this time.
Gun Control...If you know me, I am a hunter. I am an NRA member. Most if not all gun owners have zero problems with going through a background check. It is a minor inconvenience but it does some good. The problem is that when we as a society decided to "give an inch" to require those, we knew that that inch would not be enough. Crime would not go down based on these background checks so what do we do, we end up banning certain guns, magazines and ammunition. Then when we find out that that didn't work, we move another inch and another inch until we require government cards to buy and purchase limited amounts of these items (Illinois and others) just hoping that it will make a change. The goal in mind was to never just have an inch but keep things moving and moving in the other direction until we are not allowed to have guns at all. We started off agreeing with what they wanted but they end up getting what they ultimately wanted...why? Because we gave an inch!
Gay Rights...At first, all they wanted was Civil Unions so that these couples could have the same rights as married couples...ie insurance benefits, death benefits, retirements, etc. So what do we do? We as a society give an inch...but that inch wasn't enough. The next thing you know, they want legalized marriage so society gives another inch. The next thing you know, they're lifestyle is welcomed on more TV shows, commercials and bathrooms are not gender specific any longer. The goal in mind was to never just have an inch but keep things moving and moving in the other direction until we are accustomed and calloused to this sinful lifestyle. We started off agreeing with what they wanted but they end up getting what they ultimately wanted...why? Because we gave an inch!
Immigration...At first thought it sounds like a good idea for these hard working, helpless and homeless families. Work Visas, Green Cards are granted so we give an inch. The next thing you know, they want quick paths to citizenship, driver’s licenses, food stamps, free education and the right to vote...all without being US citizens. The goal in mind was to never just have an inch but keep things moving and moving in the other direction until we have a group of people who politicized their way in without going through the proper, legal channels like every other immigrant did. We started off agreeing with what they wanted but they end up getting what they ultimately wanted...why? Because we gave an inch!
Abortion...I sat in utter amazement last night as Hillary Clinton last night said that there is nothing wrong with a late term abortion up until the 9th month. It is the mother’s choice. It is her body. It didn't start off that way. When Roe vs. Wade was approved in 1973, we as Americans gave them an inch. What we have seen over these last 45 years is slowly but surely, giving in…inch by inch by inch. Babies that were once allowed to be "terminated" only in the first trimester began to be murdered later and later in life. Inch by inch by inch until if a mother so chooses, she could by choice snuff out the life of her helpless child on the very date that the baby is due. The goal in mind was to never just have an inch but keep things moving and moving in the other direction until we are not at all responsible for the life inside of us regardless of how old the "fetus" is. We started off agreeing with what they wanted but they end up getting what they ultimately wanted...why? Because we gave an inch!
We could go on and on using this same formula for just about everything...marijuana, education, government subsidies, racism, foreign affairs…the list goes on! The truth is an inch doesn't look so bad but as history tells us, it's not where it starts but where we end up and that is usually miles and miles down the road that we never intended to travel. When I was a kid, my Dad knew where I was headed with my inch. That is why often times he would put the brakes on me receiving it. As a father, I learned very quickly where my children were headed with their inch because inches are never enough. Don’t believe me, read the story in Genesis 3. God gave Adam and Eve an inch but that inch wasn’t enough and that is why we are in the mess that we all are in today!
So where does that leave you and me during this election process? First of all, I will not force my convictions on you all. I have mine and you have yours. I will tell you that there is absolutely no way I can vote for someone who would be in favor of allowing unborn babies to be murdered from conception all the way into their 9th month and to proudly boast of it for all to hear. I also will tell you that I am in favor of no more inches being given out, especially when it goes against the Word of God and knowing where the people with those inches are intending to go and how many innocent people they will drag down with them.
I leave you with this thought. Regardless of how many of these inches are passed out and the devastation that they may cause, it is great to hang our thoughts on this great verse.
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God…Romans 13:1

So it really doesn’t matter who will be taking up residence in the White House after this election because My King has been, is currently and will forever be on the Throne!

Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts