What Shirt Are You Wearing Today?

I was leaving my neighborhood today on my way to work and I noticed an older man who was cutting his grass. Well to be honest with you, I actually didn't notice him first but all the grass that his riding lawnmower had blown out into the middle of the street. The fleshly side of me thought, If I barrel through all that grass at 60 mph, it would create a windstorm and maybe that grass will blow back into his yard and even get on him. Then I realized that wasn't the Jesus thing to do nor would my 2004 Nissan frontier make it to that speed because I didn't have 45 seconds to get going that fast...so I just drove on by at the normal, 46 year old neighborhood, children might be playing speed!
As I drove past watching the man on his riding mower, something caught my attention so I drove past his house, turned around and camped out in my truck waiting for him to come mowing by. As he did, I caught the back of the man's shirt that first grabbed my attention where he had written the words YARD with a black sharpie. I then realized that the shirt that he had on was not your average shirt, it was his yard mowing shirt which I assume was specifically for mowing the yard!
I thought about that man's shirt as I drove away with a sneak-a-peek picture and wondered what shirt am I wearing today? You see this man woke up this morning, placed on his yard mowing shirt and headed out to do the task at hand and I wondered what task do I have planned today? Is it just to work or is it more importantly to work for HIM? If you and I go through a work day and we haven't been salt to the earth...if we haven't been light to a darkened world, then we have missed out on the task that God has left us here to do. Colossians 3:17 says...and whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus.
Just as important as that task is what I am wrapping myself in to accomplish it. For this man, it was a t-shirt. For those that know Christ as their Savior and Lord, the Bible speaks of what we are to wear. Romans 13:14 says that we are to be clothed with the Lord Jesus Christ. The prophet Isaiah said in Isaiah 61:10 that he had been wrapped (clothed) with a robe of righteousness. What that means is that you and I are to be clothed with every aspect of Jesus!
So all of this made me wonder and I hope it did for you...What Shirt Did You Wear Today? As you set out into this great big world, more important than the task of earning a paycheck is when people drive by...they see you in your Jesus Working Shirt...EVERY DAY!

Be BLESSED...I Sure Am!
Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts