Just a Glimpse

Just a little over a week ago, my son and I had the awesome opportunity to attend WRESTLEMANIA 32 which was taking place at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in my home town of Arlington, Texas...just 3 miles from where my parents still live. It was great to spend time with my son. It was great to travel and stay with great friends on a custom entertainer tour bus. It was great to spend some time with my parents and family. It was great to eat some really good Mexican food, some barbecue and attend a Texas Rangers baseball game. It was great to have floor seats just a few rows from the ring and to be a part of such a huge event. I enjoyed this trip so much. Can I say that it was GREAT!
When we arrived at the stadium on Friday morning, we were able to park our bus alongside the other wrestlers buses. I remember how it was when we witnessed our first wrestler just hanging outside the bus. I kind of felt like that teenage boy who had a crush on a girl but was embarrassed to look her way. Over time, that feeling began to slip away as seeing them became a more common occurrence.
Well the big day of the event finally came. We woke up with bomb sniffing dogs checking out our bus and traffic was halted on both sides of the street in front of where our bus was parked as security was tightened for the big event. People began to arrive very early that day and I wondered as I sat outside our bus drinking coffee what are they doing here 10 hours before the doors open to WRESTLEMANIA? I watched then as crowds began to gather on the other side of the security fence then it hit me, they were gathering for one thing...a GLIMPSE!
All these fans were standing and waiting...hoping to see their favorite wrestler walk or drive by so they could yell out praises. Others stood, hoping to see their not so favorite wrestler so they could yell at them. Regardless of who they were cheering or not cheering for, they had gathered on that day just to get a GLIMPSE.
The dictionary defines a GLIMPSE as a very brief, passing look, sight, or view. These fans were congregating together for a fleeting look at someone famous. I thought as I went over to the fence to see and hear all the commotion why wasn't I lining up to see and then I realized that I already had seen them...it wasn't as big a deal to me. That is why I did not need a GLIMPSE because I had already seen.
I love the story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19. He was a tax collector who was hated by most people. The Bible says that he ran ahead and climbed into a tree so that he could get a GLIMPSE of Jesus. He must have heard who Jesus was and just wanted a brief, passing look of this man that was causing a lot of commotion. I am sure that there were people cheering for Jesus while others mocked him because He wasn't their favorite but here was Zacchaeus waiting in a tree for the Savior of the world to walk by. The best thing about this story is that as he stood in that tree, Jesus saw him there, called him down and his life and the life of his family was changed forever...all because of a GLIMPSE!
Let me ask you this question...when you woke up this morning, who or what is it that you are lining up to see? As your life goes on day in and day out, what are you wanting a GLIMPSE of? Is it happiness? Is it a larger bank account? Is it acceptance by friends or family? You can wait around like everyone else to see all of those things in life but over time, they will become not that important anymore. What really matters is that you and I each and every day line ourselves up to see JESUS. If we do, He will make Himself even more evident in our lives and the lives of others.
So what are you waiting for? Get a GLIMPSE of God by getting in His Word. Get a GLIMPSE of God by serving in His church. Get a GLIMPSE of God by sharing His love to a world that is gathered around waiting for a GLIMPSE of Him...they just like Zacchaeus, don't know that when you try to get a GLIMPSE of Jesus, He will get a GLIMPSE of you!
"If you seek me with all of your heart, you will find me"...Jeremiah 29:13
Be Blessed...I Sure Am!

Comments

Popular Posts