Are You a POINTER?

I can probably make a good guess that many of you have been in the situation that I was in earlier today. I can also say that you probably felt the same way that I did when this happened to you.
Earlier today, I went into a local home improvement store to pick up a few things. I walked up and down an isle or two to find what I was looking for and thought, is it in hardware? Is it in home improvements? I know I looked up and down at least three or four isles. As I searched for what I was needing, I just happened to pass at least three times, two workers that were just standing there talking...now you know you have been in this situation before.
I finally decided to put away my "man card" and actually ask for directions as to where to find this item. I proposed my question to this young man to where he looked over at me, pointed in a certain direction and said, "over there". I can tell you that I didn't feel Jesus all over me at that time as far as the way he handled my question but nevertheless, I went on down to the end of the isle to the general direction that he pointed.
I still could not find what I was looking for. After looking for another couple of minutes, I hollered back are you sure they are over here, and he pointed once again and replied they're on the bottom shelf as he continued to talk to his co-worker. I looked and said I can't find them to which he then came over and said...oh we must be out of them. I then thought to myself, if he would have at least acknowledged me searching 15 minutes ago as I wandered around here, I would not have wasted my time. If he would have not just pointed but walked me over there to where they were suppose to be, I would have known a lot sooner that they did not have what I was needing.
I thought about what that young man did to me and then thought how many people that say they are Christians are exactly the same way...they are POINTERS! Now before I get into this, I am not getting into the elect, predestination or anything else. You can believe what you want but here is what I do know. I have experienced it, I have seen it and even sad to say at times...I have lived it. There are way too many POINTERS in this world, especially Christians. We come across people every day...people who are lost and just trying to find their way. Maybe you go to school with them. Maybe you work with or live near them. Maybe you sit by them at a ball field as you watch your child practice or you might even sit by them in church. Maybe you even live with them. The world is full of people that are lost and looking...much like me today at the store. The problem is we are either too busy with our own stuff that we don't even see them or even worse, we see them searching and we just point them the way instead of taking them there! We feel like they will eventually find what they are looking for...with or without our help!
I understand what the scripture teaches. I know that "no man comes to the Father unless the Spirit draws them (John 6:44)...I get that. I am just under the opinion that my life, my all is to be like Jesus. I fail miserably at times but that is my desire and if I am wanting to be like Him, then I must strive to do as He did.
Jesus said in Luke 19:10...That He came to seek and to save that which was lost. God could have POINTED the way, but instead He chose to show us the way in and through His Son Jesus. I thank God that He chose not to let me wander around helplessly but rather to lead us. Chances are, if you know Christ as your Lord and Savior, it wasn't because someone simply pointed you the way but rather they took you there through their words and their actions!

Put Your Finger In Your Pocket and Consider Your Ways...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts