Just a Swinigin'

Last week I had the privilege of going back home to TEXAS to visit family for Thanksgiving. The food and conversations were wonderful as usual and the family squabbles were minimal if any. I got to catch a Mavericks game with my son, visit with some friends and eat too many sweets that I can now hide the lasting affects under my new Under Armour sweatshirt that I got on Black Friday. I can say that I had a great time but also say that at the end of the week, I was glad to be back in Tennessee.
While staying with my parents for the holiday, often times my mind would race back to my years I spent growing up in this small house. I could remember things as if they had just happened as I sat in certain rooms. Conversations, meals and even whippings...boy I remember those! One day, I ventured out in the backyard and memories began to flood my mind of things that happened in that backyard. I remembered how I broke a neighbors window with a rock that somehow flew out of my hand. I remembered how when we played in my yard how we had to dodge the "landmines" left by the dogs. I remembered how big I thought that yard was as a kid...especially when I had to mow it with a push mower in the Texas heat. As I made my way around the old storage shed I noticed an overhang beside the shed that my Dad built to protect the grill and other stuff from the rain. Now I watch a lot of home improvement shows and this overhang...well lets just say that it was not up to code and is not the type of craftsmanship that Bob Vila would put his name on. As I stood there, the wind began to blow and I noticed the main center support just a swinging in the breeze. You could see that at one time, it did offer support because the rocks were there underneath and the screws at the top were still in place and set. The problem was that over time, the ground shifted enough under the pressure and elements to cause this post that at one time supported the structure to now just swing in the wind.
I wondered at that moment if I have become at times in my life like that old post...just hanging around moving aimlessly in the wind while offering no support at all? I believe there have been times in all our lives that we have allowed the elements of this world...SIN to weaken us. That sin can be of our own doing or it can be the sin of another. Regardless...it rocks our foundation. It usually doesn't happen all of a sudden but very subtle...that's how this happened to this post and how Satan works. One day we're feeling strong, stable and able to carry the weight of the world and the next we're weak and honestly useless. The Apostle Paul reminded the early believers in 1 Corinthians 15:58 to "be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for nothing you do for the Lord is useless".
So let the winds blow. Let the rains fall. Stay busy doing what God has called you to do at your work, in your home, community or church. Don't allow the people and things of this world to beat you down and move you off of the only firm foundation and that is in Christ because...others are needing you support!
Know HIM and Make HIM Known...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts