A JC Penney "Learned"

I heard on the news today then read about it later about something that will greatly affect many of you, especially you older people. I know that my father-in-law, Terry Samples will be distraught about this news and that is that JC Penneys is closing a great number of their stores, one of which is located where he dwells and that is in Marion, Indiana! Years of steady decline in sales and the lack of new companies willing to jump on board a sinking ship with their new products has had a damaging affect. Because of this, 33 stores will close and over 2000 people will lose their paychecks. How could it happen? Industry leaders and business gurus will tell you a number of things, the increase in Walmarts and Target stores being the main reason. I will tell you what I think, they lost me!
Me, I'm a 44 year old overweight, limped legged father and husband. Years ago, I would frequent the only JC Penny store around and that was at the Six Flags Mall in Arlington, Texas. It was at that JC Penney store where I met Olympic Medalist Mark Spitz and got to hold one of his 7 Gold Medals...but that's another story! I am not sure what happened but somehow, some way and at sometime, what they were selling and how they packaged it didn't connect with me and I moved on. I didn't need what they had to offer. For years, the only time I ever went into a JC Penney store was if I found a close parking spot outside it at the mall (which wasn't very hard) or if my father-in-law was in town and he was itching to get out and look for either a) some isotoner gloves b)hush puppy shoes or c) some luggage.
In more ways than not, a lot of churches have become a lot like JC Penney. They somehow, some way, lost people over the years. Things and styles didn't change with the times and when that happened, they lost a generation or two. Now before you get all off on this change thing, I am not at all talking about the message of God but rather the method at which it is relayed. For those you that are pro-hymn and anti-praise and worship, remember there was a time that the hymns were cutting edge and different from the Psalms that were only sung...booyah!
You see God is much bigger than the box that people put Him in! Just look around, most churches that have not embrassed some sort of change, well they are just a few short funerals away from either closing their doors or an all out REVIVAL is about to occur. It is for that reason that I believe there are a great number of people like myself and JC Penney that just wander away from church and never again visit. I grew up with them, I was friends with them, I even sang in youth choir with them. Church became old, outdated and no longer related.
I truly believe that in order for us to not skip a generation or two of church dwellers that we must wrap up the greatest message ever told and that is Jesus and present it in a way that is compelling and life changing to those that are searching and longing for something more. People need to know that what we have is of great value and cannot be found anywhere else. So, if it takes a drum then beat it. If it takes free coffee then pour it. If it takes a pair of blue jeans then wear them. If not, churches will end up like JC Penney and wake up one day and wonder where did everybody go?
See you @ The River...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts