Miley Mess

I as most people do try to find good things to watch on TV at home. Sometimes it seems that there is just nothing on which is an amazing statement in itself because why is it that I can have 1759 channels and not find "anything" to watch? This past Sunday night was one of those nights. As the summer winds down, the new television fall lineup has not begun. The official NFL season has yet to start so we are left with reruns and leftovers if you know what I mean.
As I sat at home, I flipped to a channel that is not usually watched at our home and was intrigued by what I witnessed along with my wife and daughter (my son was downstairs and I would not have watched it with him there nor by myself)...the MTV Video Music Awards. It was not at all for the entertainment aspect that kept me watching but rather the shock and awe of where we have come as a nation. When I was growing up, Ricky and Lucy slept in separate beds on TV. When I was growing up, June Cleaver was not a desperate housewife but a loving, well dressed mother.
As I watched, not with lust but rather in disgust, I wondered if what I was doing is what God does when He looks down on the human race? Psalm 53:2 says..."God looks down from heaven on the children of man to see if there are any who seek after Him." Throughout the Bible, especially the Old Testament you will see countless numbers of stories of people and even nations that turned their backs on Him. "The Bible says in the book of Judges 17:6..."In those days, there was no king in Israel and everyone did that which was right in their own eyes." I believe we as a culture have taken on that mindset...If It Feels Good then Do It! Let me remind you that there is always a direct result from what we do or do not do in life. Galatians 6:7 says..."Don't be fooled, God is not mocked. You will always harvest what you plant." Sure you can sow wild seeds and ask God to forgive you and by His awesome Grace and Mercy He will, but those crops that you planted will still be harvested.
Sadly as a nation and people, we have become so callused to this thing called sin that the thing that once moved us to our core and burden our hearts is but a fleeting thought today. God help us all!
So if you watched or heard about that evening, before you cast judgement on one for how they acted and what they have done and how far they have strayed from when they were younger, be reminded of this simple truth that the Apostle Paul stated in God's Word...1 Corinthians 10:12 "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!"
Consider Your Ways...Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts