20 Years of Reflection


20 YEARS...There are absolutely no words to say when I think back that long. As a matter of fact, as I try to do so, it becomes like a year in review video where everything is played in super fast forward and all you do is hope that you can catch a single memory or two. On December 7, 1991...which happened to also be the 50th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, my wife and I decided to jump into this thing we call marriage. At that time, we lived in Texas. She was 19 years old and I was the manly age of 21. Neither of us knew what all we both were getting into but looking back, I sure am glad that I did. Our life over the years, just like many others has been full of ups and downs. In 20 years of marriage, we have moved 16...yes 16 times. Our first was to Grand Prairie, Texas then twice to Arlington, Texas. We then thought we would try the north a bit so we moved to Waterford, Michigan then to Clarkston, Michigan then back to Waterford again. Our travels then took us back to Arlington for two more moves then back to Grand Prairie for another three. In 2001, we left for Gallatin, Tennessee which led to two more moves and then on to Marion, Illinois for what we had thought would be our last but God had other plans. Good ole Rockytop came calling again and Gallatin, Tennessee became home again in 2009 and we have moved two times since arriving back here! I wonder sometimes when I look at the lives of other people and wonder why it is that they can grow up in an area, marry there, raise a family there, make friends there and live a happy life there without ever having to leave while on the other hand we have moved all over God's creation...then it hit me, that wasn't God's plan! You see going back to that 7th day of December in 2001, there was also a third party involved in the ceremony. That covenant was not only between my new bride and I but also God. When Shelly committed to trusting me and I her, we also committed to trusting God and that we have done, regardless of where He has led or how much it didn't make sense or how much it was going to hurt. That is the most important message that we have taught our kids, to trust God. Speaking of kids, God has blessed us with three awesome children. Emilee came to us in July, 1995 while we lived in Michigan. Mollie showed up in Arlington, Texas in January 1998 and this world hasn't been the same since and John Luke, my "mini me" arrived too in Arlington in October, 2000 and our family was complete! Since then, all three have accepted Christ and are wonderful followers of Christ, students and friends. I said all of this because there is no way I could speak about 20 years of marriage without mentioning the best gifts that God has given us along the way. Yes these 20 years of marriage have brought about many memories, many good and many not so good! Our hearts have been broken many times but also mended along the way. Our vision of what God wanted has been clouded but later restored. Our GPS...God's Positioning System has led us to 4 different states and 16 stops and looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. I am thankful for all of the stops along the way and connections made with others but none of this would have been possible if it wasn't for my wife by my side. She has been the best mother, friend, encourager and helpmate that anyone could ever ask for. She loves me for who I am and far too often times, I am not so lovable. We never argue, except for last Sunday when putting up the Christmas decorations and we always see eye to eye on everything! Not really...we don't always agree on everything but we always make up and support whatever decision is made!
Yes 20 years is a long time. Statistics say that here in the US that the average marriage last less than 7. We have blown that out of the water, not by anything other than by loving God and loving each other. It has been a great ride that started off as two, grew to five and one day will be back to two again. Lord willing when we celebrate the next 20, we will look back and see how even farther God has brought us since the first 20! I LOVE YOU SHELLY!

See you @ The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts