A TEXAS RANGER LESSON


Today begins the 2011 WORLD SERIES which happens to feature my two favorite teams. Obviously, the TEXAS RANGERS are my favorite because Arlington, Texas is my home town where I grew up and the RANGERS are the team I have cheered for my entire life. The St. Louis Cardinals are my second favorite because for a number of years, I lived outside of St. Louis about 90 miles and I had the choice of watching them or nothing at all. During that time, I enjoyed many games and watching this team with a lot of baseball history.
As I prepare for tonight's game, I wish that my son and I were able to attend one of the World Series games. With that not being an option, we will build our memories sitting at the home in our RANGER gear!
Thinking of memories that my son and I will be making, I couldn't help but think about the young boy and father who were out doing the same thing at the RANGER BALLPARK this past summer when the father accidentally reached for a ball and fell over the red railing and to his death while in front of his son. As I witnessed that scene, my mind raced back to just a short time before that I and my son sat almost or in exactly those same seats. That could have been me? I reached just as that father did for a ball and I could have just as easily fallen over the railing! As I saw the story on the news, the thought of that tragedy hammered home the truth that the Bible says in James 4:14 that "Our life is like a vapor, here for a moment and then it vanishes away". We are not guaranteed of tomorrow, only right now! What started off as a fun, memory making day between a father and son ended with a terrible accident that not only changed their life but mine as well!
So keep your overpriced WORLD SERIES tickets. Enjoy your $6.00 sodas, $5.00 hot dogs and peanuts that are more than just a few "peanuts"! I'm gonna sit at home, snuggle up to my son, cheer on the RANGERS and be thankful that I have another day to live, another day to love and another day to serve!

See You @ The River and GO RANGERS!

Pastor John

Comments

Popular Posts