NOT MY KING!


Today is the 34th anniversary marking the death of Elvis Presley. I was 7 years old, almost 8 when this event took place. I much like many of you remember where I was when the news broke. Please remember this was way before CNN or FOX NEWS. It proceeded Twitter, Facebook or any other social media that is now at your finger tips! No this tragic news came to me from the mouth of my friends mom! As we were inside the house playing around, she came running in screaming and balling like a baby. I still to this day have not seen anyone act that way that was over the age of 6, except for...let's just leave it at that!
As her babbling turned to a mere whimper, I began to put together these garbled up words in between the sniffling and hacking and they finally made some sense. She said in broken words as she wiped the mascara that was now rolling down her face..."The King is Dead"! I then said as any other pastors kid would've said..."what king"? You see we weren't allowed to listen to Elvis Presley at my home! Lawrence Welk was the norm for us and occasionally we could watch Donnie and Marie but when the show went from being "A Little Bit Country" to "A Little Bit Rock N Roll", well we had to change it! So needless to say, I didn't take it quite as hard as my friends mom.
After hearing all that crying, I headed home which was just a few houses down. As I entered into my house, I said to my father as he sat in his chair, "Did you hear the king is dead"? My Dad said, "what king" and I said "Elvis". He then put his paper down as he looked at me and said..."That's NOT My King"!
Oh how true that was and is! Revelation 19:16...On his robe at his thigh was written this title: King of all kings and Lord of all lords.
My God is the King of all Kings. This world may not know it. This world may not believe it but the Bible says in Philippians 2:10-11...that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Yes this KING, the Real KING has taken this old "Hound Dog" and got me "All Shook Up" about serving and loving HIM! My question for you is..."Are You Lonesome Tonight"? If so place your faith and trust in the one and only true KING, I promise He will give you a big "Hunk of His Burning Love" and not leave you "Crying in The Chapel"!

See You @ The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts