A Dryer Sheet Mishap



This past weekend, we experienced what was the end of this years church coed volleyball season. As I look back and reflect, I am not looking past a first place trophy. I do not have fond memories of an awards ceremony where medals were placed around my neck nor championship banners hung to the tune of "We are The Champions". What I can reflect on are a few things. First of all, any competitive season that ends with only the use of Advil and no crutches, morphine or a wheelchair is successful in my book. After having two knee surgeries, one of which was major, I retired from competitive sports a number of years ago...(ESPN 4 carried my news conference). Over the years, Brett Favre-itis kicked in and I would find myself back in the competitive arena, knowing good and well that it was against the wishes of my wife. It wasn't just the fact that I made it through without an injury that left an impression on this season. It wasn't the team play, new friendships or the comradery that pushed it over the top. What left an impression was what was left on the court.
During one of the games, as my wife jumped, no lunged for a ball, an interesting thing happened. A dryer sheet fell from inside her pant leg onto the gym floor. She had no idea that it happened then accidentally stepped and slipped on it as it and her lay on the floor. Then while no one was looking, she picked it up, tucked it away in her pocket and went on as if nothing ever happened.
Who would have thought that something so soft, something that not only smelled real good but also gives off a sweet fragrance and makes other things smell good could end up being something dangerous?
James makes mention of that very same thing but he is referring to our mouths. In James 3:10 he says...and so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely my brothers and sisters, this is not right! James uses this chapter to speak about how we are to watch our mouth. Why? It is simple, our mouth is very similar to that dryer sheet. It can not only say sweet things but it also can make other things smell better by the words that we say. The sad thing is that a misplaced or misspoken word can become like that hidden dryer sheet in my wife's pants...it will slip out and cause you to stumble...and you can't tuck it back in your pocket as if it never happened!


Watch Your Mouths!


See You @ The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts