Things I learned before I was 40!


I'm taking a little time today to recall some of the more important things I have learned in these 40 years I have been on this earth. All of this coming on the heels of my 39th year that was undoubtedly one of the most difficult, fulfilling and yet beneficial ones.
I have learned that as a father, what really matters is not what awards my kids have won, how many goals or touchdowns they scored, what college they will end up going to or even what job they land. What matters is who they are in Christ and that they are walking with Him. What matters is who they are and what people view them as when mom and dad are not around. What matter is Christ living in and through them for all the world to see, not man made awards!

I have learned that "You are who you hang around"...period! There has been only one who that would not apply to and He is now sitting at the right hand of the father!

I have learned that when you are done wrong or have been hurt, if you will not look at your hurt self but rather the motive behind at which it was done, you will find often times that they were pure and were not intentionally meant to hurt you.

I have learned that if something is funny and everyone is laughing but you, you just might be the one with the problem!

I have learned that ministry is about meeting the needs of people and not shoving it off on everyone else to do.

I have learned that if you can't be personal with people, then you can't be like Christ!

I have learned that God will often times make things uncomfortable to get you to move. I would rather acknowledge the gnat He sends my way then wait on His roar!

I have learned that it was a great thing to have grown up in a Christian home. I can't testify of the awful life I once lived and the gutter God brought me out of, but I can testify of the one He kept me out of and that had everything to do with my home I was raised in.
I have learned that their is a difference and I would rather have a great pastor than a great preacher...and bye the way, so would everyone else!

I have learned that it is an awesome thing to be married to my wife...no you can't have her!

I have learned that all three of my kids are a true joy and gift from God and I love them so!

I have learned that having great, Godly in-laws is a Huge Bonus, even if your mother in law uses your bath towel when she visits!

I have learned that God gives you some friends for a lifetime and some for a season. That is a fact!

I have learned that sadly, most pastors are not ever around people that are lost!

I have learned that the life of a church is not based on numbers but rather how many people are being saved and baptised!

I have learned that God is much bigger than the box we tend to put him in.

I have learned , Boy Did I Ever...that just because God tells you to do something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's His plan...See Abraham and Issac!

I have learned that man will let you down, hurt you and lie to save themselves but God will never do that!

I have learned that everyday we have the opportunity to see Christ but often times we miss it!

I have learned that it does not matter what kind of hand you have been dealt with in this life nor what your family life is/was like, it still comes down to choices that you make!

I have learned that the only thing that should ever "trump" family is God!

I have learned that I have not been a very good Christ follower but I am doing better!

I have learned that when you are faithful to God in the good times that He will be faithful to you in the bad times!

I have learned that when hunting with your 9 year old son, you might as well just mark it off as a bonding trip!

I have learned that I will never understand women nor their feelings!

I have learned that a true Cowboy fan is just that, regardless of the wins/losses!

I have learned that after almost 18 years of marriage and 17 moves in 4 different states that even in the midst of all that change, I still would not change a thing!

On and on I could go but I will not bore you! Yes I have learned a lot but the most important thing is that God loves me and that everything that happens happens for a reason and that it did not slip past Him! I would rather stand alone with HIM than with a crowd without HIM!

See You at The River....
John




Comments

Popular Posts