Give Me Your Word!


I am writing this tonight for my friend who also happens to be my boss. Today was a rough day for him. It started like every other Monday...early and busy. Every week it seems we get closer to all buses being gone on a weekly basis. As I looked at the board to see the buses going out, what was scheduled this week and next was by far the busiest since this new year started off three months ago.
Here is how the day unfolded. We had a new client who was scheduled to head out this week for his first time. Everything had been set and ready for the departure when out of nowhere a call came in this morning stating that they had decided to go with another company. How could that be? We had already let you use the bus. Your word was "It was a done deal" but then to hear you are going somewhere else...what happened to your word?
Later that day, a meeting with the contractors concerning the renovations at the new building we will soon be meeting in. After much talk and disgust, the contractor went against his word and original quote by let's just say...too much to mention! What about his word? Why quote one price and then later hammer him with this incredible increased amount?
I have experienced that as well.
I remember a time when I had an employer who had noticed for sometime that I was a bit distracted, discouraged or me just not being myself. For a long time, I kept my feelings to myself. After much time, circumstances led to the point where I had to tell him. He then asked me why I did not share that with him earlier? I said, because I knew that as soon as I said how I felt, my time would be done, that I would be railroaded out of a job. He then said and I quote "Not on my watch. Not when I'm in charge". Well one day shy of three weeks, he came in my office to tell me that he did not have anything else for me at that place of employment and that I should start looking. What happened to his word? Why did he say one thing and then do another?
I think we have all been there. I think we have all been in that place where someone gave us "their word" but their word wasn't worth the chapstick they had on their lying lips! Man, no pun intended, does that "Chap My Hide"! The simple fact is that the sooner you realize that man will let you down but God will never let you the better off you will be. Yeah, it hurts! Yeah it sucks! (ooops said that word again) Yeah it means you might have to start over. Even with all of that, it is great to know that God's word will never fail us. His word will never contradict what he already has said and promised. His word will not always make sense, but nevertheless, we are to obey, regardless of what we think. Go read John 5 and the story of the miraculous catch of fish. Jesus said to Simon let down your nets, after the fact that they had fished all night and caught nothing. In verse 5, Simon says (no pun intended again) nevertheless at your word, I will let down the nets. Simon soon realized following his obedience that Jesus was good for His word. Simon (Peter) would soon become one of the disciples that was closest to Christ and a true fisher of men!
So who is it or who was it that went against their word in your life? Did it hurt? Dose it still? Forgive that person and then take some time to thank God for never going against what He has said. Thank Him for always doing what He says He will do, especially saving you. When you think of that, it doesn't compare to what man has said or done. God is good for His word!
See You At The River...John

Comments

  1. Wow Awesome John!! Thank you so much. I want to be a person who keeps my word. How many times, have I made a commitment to be somewhere, only to break it because I didnt "feel" like it. Yes, Thank You GOd that you keep your word. Thank you John. I will think of your blog, as I try to "KEEP MY WORD!"
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts