On The Road Again!

Sorry I have not blogged as usual this past week due to me moving my family. I will resume this week!
If you know country music or have had at least listened to a radio at sometime, you probably heard all or part of a song made famous by Willie Nelson. The following is a quote of part of his lyrics to that song. I left out the part about being like a band of gypsies out on the highway because it did not pertain to me because I do not play a tamberine, wear a bunch of beads or am a descendant of the nomadic people who moved from India to the uttermost parts of the world (thought I would throw a little KJV in there)! Part of the lyrics are as follows: On the road again. I just can't wait to get on the road again. The life I love is making music with my friends. I can't wait to get on the road again.
This last week, I once again spent time packing my family, loading my stuff and saying goodbyes to get "out on that road again". In 17 years of marriage, I and my wife have moved 15 times now. One might say how could you have done that? Are you a nut? I can say that although that is not the life that I desired for me and my family, it is the life that God has desired for me and my family and to that, I am grateful. I have learned over the years to listen to what my Father has to say and where He leads. With that said, I know what God's voice sounds like. Sometimes it gets drowned out by my own things. Sometimes I don't hear it because of I am not in fellowship with Him, but nevertheless, I know what it sounds like.
In 1 Kings 19, you find the story about the prophet Elijah. He had come to his wits end and was ready to give up. He even asked God to take his life that he was ready to die. It was then at that time that God did an incredible thing. God had Elijah go up on a mountain. God then sent a strong wind but the Lord was not in the wind. God then sent an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. God then sent fire but again, God was not in that either. Then the best part of the story...God then sent a still small voice! It was that still, small voice that simply confirmed his fellowship and presence with him. It was then that Elijah knew that he was not alone. Following those words, Elijah got himself up and went where God had led. It would have been easy for him to run during the storms...the strong winds, the earthquake and the fire but God was not in those. He waited and listened for that still small voice.
I myself have been there and done that as well. I have weathered some incredible storms in my life. Some of those being long ago and some recent. Some by people who were not Christ followers and others by people who are. Yes God has used circumstances and yes even some people as wind, earthquakes and fire but it was only the still small voice of my Lord that moved me along and not voices or actions that of man.
So as I left Marion Illinois on a cold, snowy, Saturday morning, yes I could not wait to get on the road again. Oh I will surely miss my friends. I will miss the students I loved and ministered to. I will also miss my lucky hunting and fishing spots. With that being said, as much as I love them, those people and things will never, ever trump me not listening to His Still Small Voice.
See You At The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts