Get Thee Behind Me Eclair


If you are not aware of this, let me fill you in on a secret I found out in February 1998. Are you ready? Here it goes. If you are past teenager years and you blow out your knee playing basketball which then leads to major reconstructive surgery and less exercise, you better quit eating the same way! There wasn't anyone who warned me about that. So over the next, let's just say 10 years, I ballooned up to the point where I looked like I had been stung by and angry swarm of bees. I also had more chins than a Chinese phonebook! If I had known that the late night affair I was having on a regular basis with another woman would have taken me that far, I would have never spent that time with Little Debbie.

With that said, I challenged myself in January 08 to join a health club, diet and end the relationship with Ms. Debbie. Thirty seven pounds later, I was a much leaner, cleaner and pretty darn in shape 38 year old man! Which leads me to today. Today I dropped my daughter off at school and being that she had to be there early, I had plenty of time to get to work. I drove the more well traveled route which lead me by a Dunkin Donuts. I knew it was ahead and approaching fast. I prayed that if God wanted me to stop in there that there would be an open parking spot right in the front. Well I want you to know that on the third trip around the building, a spot finally opened up! Just kidding. Even though I was hungry. Even though I knew I would enjoy what Dunkin Donuts was offering, I did not give into temptation. I wanted to but I thought about my new jeans my wife bought me and how they fit oh so good! I thought about how disappointed my son would be cause now I can wrestle on the floor and not get winded. Yes, I just drove on by and never thought of it again...Not true! I thought about it all the way until I passed Shipley donuts and then I had to say no to temptation again!

Sin is just like that. Satan will throw whatever he can at us to tempt us and cause us to stumble. He will do whatever he can to get us to forget about our loved ones, the consequences and to focus on our right now, fleshly needs! Satan will never give up and just about the time we overcome one temptation, up comes another donut shop! The Bible says in 1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. So the next time you are struggling with temptation, think about what you are about to do, who it will hurt and how long it's affects will last. Don't spend time circling around the parking lot waiting for another opportunity, LEAVE!That God way of escape is there, you just have to be looking for it!


See You At The River...John

Comments

  1. You blow my mind John. How do you think of things like this. You came up with a great story from just driving by a donut shop. What will you write next, I always anticipate. Love ya man. hope we get to see you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts