You Missed A Spot!


Friday night I decided to tell Emilee about about our big Valentine's Day plans for Saturday, starting with sleeping in. About the time she got up and she got ready, it was after 1:30 in the afternoon. I didn't mind. I took the extra time to complete my taxes and get my coffee fill!

This day of love for the first time in 21 years was not spent with the love of my life. With us officially moving this week and being together again as a family, the weekend trip did not work out for either of us. So instead, I spent it with another love of my life, my eldest daughter.

When we left out for a busy day, we stopped at a little diner up the road. As we pulled up and headed to the door, we realized that there was only 2 other people inside and that this place closed at 2pm. We quickly ordered off of a limited menu and waited patiently for our food. As we waited, workers were busy like bees, cleaning up and getting the restaurant ready for closing. Dishes were being gathered. Tables were being wiped off. Even I paid my bill ahead of time so that the register could be closed out. Now this is not your 4 star establishment. There are no cloth napkins. Meat + 2 or 3 is what they are known for and to top it all off, Nascar was on the tv. Now you surely catch my drift! As I watched them work, I noticed a person who must have been given the floor duty. This person walked around, not with a mop and bucket. This person did not have a fancy floor machine or even a new "swiffer". All this person was armed with was a spray bottle , squirting dirt spots on the floor and then wiping them with a rag. If you looked at this floor in its entirety, anyone could have seen that this was not doing the job. What needed to happen was to not focus on the little spots but rather focus on the big, overall picture. I just did not see as I was watching why they were neglecting the whole floor. If it had been me, chairs would have been stacked and tables moved in order to "get down to business" and get the whole job done.

Dealing with sin is a lot like this ole' dirty floor at the diner. Sometimes we try to do whatever we can just to get by when it comes to sin. I know in my life there have been times that I just wanted to focus on "the spots" on the floor of my life instead of dealing with the real issues. Oh we can just play around and make things look presentable, but what God really desires is for us to stack things up and clean all of the mess, not just what stands out! Oh how much better our lives would be, our fellowship would be if we would look inwardly at the dirt in our lives and realize that not only does God want the spots cleaned but He wants a clean, pure vessel to live in and work through!
See You At The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts