Do I Have To?


As I thought about this blog entry today, a thought came to me. I did not realize until after the fact when the opportunity that presented itself rode away. I was sitting at a red light in Gallatin, Tn. while on my way to pick up my daughter from school. As I sat there, beside me came two local police officers riding on bicycles. It was a beautiful 70 degree day today and I must say that they surprised me as they pulled up right next to my Jeep. The first thought that came to me was what dorks! These guys didn't look a day older than 21 and I wondered if the reason why they did not have a "Real" police vehicle was because they hadn't had drivers education yet! The second thing I thought was, if I was a real bad guy, how could they ever catch me in something like that! I wondered if they ever asked me to do something like pull over or slow down or any other police, authoritative order, what could they really do to me. I could simply drive away, leaving them behind on their Huffy's! I mean come on, I know I am suppose to have respect for them, listen and such but do I really have to?

Jonah in the book that carries his name struggled with that same thing. God told him to go to a specific place and to share His word with them. He did not listen. He thought that he could out smart and out run God. Me, I've been there and done that too. I've heard God speak to me, not in an audible voice but He could if He wanted to. I've sensed His spirit before telling me to do something and I've thought, what could He really do to me if I didn't listen? I'm here and you're way "up there". I could just drive away and leave your thoughts behind!

There is no telling how many people I have ignored or walked by that needed Him because I did not listen to Him. There are many times when I chose to disregard His authoritative position in regards to sin, regardless of the cost. If you look at Jonah, his disregard for Gods direction not only cost him but also put the innocent people on the boat in danger as well.

Yeah, you or I could out run those cops any day but neither of us can out run God. Not listening to God not only hurts us but those innocent around us as well. Take some time today to listen to God and what He wants. Then realize when we start to listen to God on a regular basis, it becomes something we want to do not something we have to do!
See You At The River...John

Comments

Popular Posts